Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Learning Agreement

Proposal
I have been experimenting/learning animation skills. I have mainly focussed on vector and 3D animation. I have found the 3D CG aspect of animation very challenging yet satisfying. I have been learning to use 3D Studio Max. Here are some images that I have created using a mixture of vector art and 3D.

The final outcome will be a short animated story. This project has started to become quite overwhelming to produce this animation by the end of year two. I don’t want to rush this project so I plan to carry this on through into my third year.

The story for my animation has stemmed from the experience of living with my housemates. It is about what happens if the washing up is left too long. There has been a lot of conflict in the house between us all over this year and this is where most of my ideas have come from. The story is based around what actually lives in the washing up. A surreal new world starts to evolve.

I need to look back and reflect on my current character designs because I feel they aren’t solid enough.

I feel sound is going to be very important to the success of this project. I have a friend who is on a sound engineering course and has done the sound on some of my older animations. He will be able to help me with this aspect of the project although it won’t be implemented till my third year.

Why have I chosen animation?
I love watching animation as it really appeals to me. There are so many different types of animation and each one has its own strengths and weaknesses. It’s such a challenging art form to use and I really appreciate that fact. I enjoy the challenge, and making my characters come alive.

What makes a character successful?
I am focussing a lot on character design at the moment. I have found that
  • Creating characters with a durable personality is important.
  • The design needs to be strong and interesting to get peoples attention.
  • Building back stories will help make a more solid character.
  • The main character should have something that the viewer can relate to.
  • Characters with at least one flaw or weakness are more interesting that a perfect character.
  • Colour can help communicate a characters personality.
  • Exaggeration is the key in cartoon caricatures and helps emphasise certain personality traits.
  • Since I am working with 3D, I should work out what the character will look like from all angles on paper first or make a model.
  • Interesting looks + strong personality = good character design.
What makes a good story?
A good story should have
  • A well chosen setting.
  • A good plot (conflict or struggle).
  • Something to tell the reader.
  • A strong theme.
  • Unforgettable characters.
  • Fitting structure.
How important is sound?
Sound and animation should work together. This is what makes animation successful, which can mean sound is more important than the animation itself. The viewer probably won’t remember or notice sounds used in animation but they will instantly notice if you use no sound or bad sounds. The effect of sound is subconscious and that what makes it so powerful.

What alternatives do I have to CG?
Stop frame animation would be my choice for an alternative route. But it is such a time consuming process that I would attempt developing this skill during my third year. I have done a tiny bit this year, just to get a feel for it and I did find it fun to do. It does however have its limitations which I will need to fully understand if I’m to master this technique.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All this stuff looks fucking A man, I saw your sketchbook when I was at yours and well liked what u were doin. Hope you don't mind. Peter x